- Regulatory and Disciplinary Law
- Mental Health Law
- Road Traffic Law
Carl's high quality Criminal Law practice is well known throughout the region and his continued success is a reflection of his commitment to his clients.He has appeared in cases involving all aspects of crime including homicide, violence, fraud and dishonesty, public order, sex and drugs matters appearing as sole Counsel, Junior Counsel and Leading Junior Counsel. Carl also has an extensive serious motor offence practice.
Carl has gained particular experience and expertise in representing those who have mental health problems.
High profile and other cases of particular note and interest in which Carl has been involved include:
- R v P. Voisey (Kidnap of a child from the bath in her house and her subsequent rape)
- R v Sayers and others (Gangland conspiracy to murder)
- R v P. Tabram (The "Cannabis Granny")
- R v Allsopp and others  EWCA Crim 703 (use of telecommunication experts, interception of communication, disclosure, expert evidence and us of databases, conversations in the course of a conspiracy, use of statisticians).
- RAOB Club Ltd v Middlesbrough Borough Council (Represented the Local Authority in the Appeal of what was believed to be the first Prosecution against a Social Club under the smoking ban legislation)
- R v T Davies ( Representing a Defendant who had bitten off her boyfriend’s tongue)
- Other serious matters he has appeared in include Operation Crusade ("The Ferry Landing Riot" including the Attorney-General's Reference on Sentence), Operation Bullhead II (drugs), Operation George (Robberies), Operation Rose (child sexual abuse), and Operation Ore (child pornography).
WHAT OTHERS SAY:
'recommended' Legal 500 2012
'has a pleasant manner that is appreciated by clients and juries alike’ Legal 500 2011
- Grade 4 CPS Prosecutor
- CPS External Advocacy Assessor
Criminal Bar Association
Steering Group for the North East Offender Diversion Project
LECTURES & SEMINARS:
Carl has been invited on a number of occasions to appear on television and radio to comment on legal matters and has acted as an external advocacy tutor on the BVC at Northumbria University. He has delivered a guest lecture on the Senior Practitioners Lecture Series.Carl has also lectured on mental health issues to legal and social care practitioners.
Crime, Mental Health, Regulatory