Robert Adams is a criminal law specialist with extensive trial experience at leading junior level.
Since leaving the Army in 1992, he has developed a busy criminal practice, defending and prosecuting in roughly equal measure. As a Grade 4 Prosecutor, he has prosecuted a murder on his own against a silk and a junior. (R v. Mark Parfitt). He has defended and prosecuted in all areas of crime from fraud to rape and from armed robbery to cases of homicide (of all varieties). He has been instructed in 15 or so murder or attempted murder cases over recent years and regularly prosecutes and defends in sensitive cases of causing death by dangerous driving and serious allegations of rape.
Robert defends in Court Martial cases (using his military experience), and appears regularly on behalf of the Police in Firearms Licensing Appeal cases. He also deals with Defra and other Regulatory prosecutions.
- R v. Michael Dixon (John Henry Sayers et al.) (3½ month trial defending in alleged ‘gangland assassination’ murder trial).
- R v. Neil Crampton (Prosecuting in multiple murder trial defendant murdered his family).
- R v. Rachel Begg (Defending young lady in death by dangerous case where she used a mobile phone, texting on the move. Massive national newspaper and local television coverage.)
- R v. Antonio Gregorio et al. (Defending in large scale cigarette smuggling trial).
- R v. David Jeavons et al. (High profile large scale drugs case involving importation and movement of a tonne of cannabis).
- Greener v. DPP (1996) (reported). (Prosecuting in Divisional Court case on Dangerous Dogs.)
WHAT OTHERS SAY:
"The "eloquent and persuasive" Robert Adams is "well liked by solicitors and the CPS alike," sources indicate. He is well capable of handling even the most tricky cases on his own, and recently successfully did so in a murder case against a silk leading a junior. Unsurprisingly for someone with his military background, he acts in Courts Martial." Chambers UK 2013
"commands high respect for his court presence and performance" Legal 500 2012
"recommended" Legal 500 2010, Legal 500 2011
"Caroline Goodwin and Robert Adams are strong Juniors " Legal 500 2009
"Robert Adams defended in Perkes, a Defra "netting allowance" prosecution with POCA aspects" Legal 500 2008
'continues to develop strongly ' Legal 500 2007
- Recorder on North Eastern Circuit, sitting in Crime.
- Grade 4 Prosecutor CPS
LECTURES & SEMINARS:
Robert has delivered seminars on Courts Martial at Catterick Garrison and is a regular contributor to Trinity Chambers' criminal seminars.
MA (Cantab) – Trinity College, Cambridge
Prior to becoming a barrister Robert had a military background. He was commissioned into the Queen’s Own Highlanders, serving in West Germany, Canada, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and Belfast. He received the Brigade Commanders Commendation for “outstanding service on operations” for work as Intelligence Officer whilst seconded to the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers in the first Gulf War. He was a Platoon Commander in Northern Ireland. Given his previous career Robert has a particular interest in Courts Martial work and has detailed first hand understanding of Army structures and procedures.