Ellen has a busy criminal practice acting as both a led junior and junior alone and regularly appears in the Crown Court on a wide range of matters representing clients charged with a variety of offences including murder, fraud, robbery, GBH, drug supply and witness intimidation. Ellen has extensive experience as a trial advocate and is also accustomed to dealing with Serious Crime Prevention Orders, Sexual Risk Orders, Sexual Harm Prevention Orders, Freezing/Forfeiture Orders and Criminal Behaviour Orders.
In addition to her criminal practice, Ellen accepts instructions through the Attorney-General’s Junior Panel (formerly the Treasury Solicitor’s Baby Barrister Panel) and undertakes work for the Ministry of Defence, the Home Office, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs and the Serious Fraud Office. Ellen is currently engaged in a significant and highly sensitive regulatory investigation for a band 1, white collar crime firm.
APPOINTMENTS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Elected Bar Council Representative
- Crown Prosecution Service Panel Advocate Grade 3
- Criminal Bar Association
- North Eastern Circuit
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
PUBLICATIONS & ARTICLES
- Author, Economic Crime (Transparency and Enforcement) Act 2022, The Barrister Magazine, May 2022
- Author, ‘Inquests, Article 2 and Covid-19 in Light of Maguire ’, Trinity Chambers News & Insights, September 2021
- Author, ‘Suspicious Activity Reports: The Law Commission’s View’, Young Fraud Lawyers Association Winter Newsletter, 2019 YFLA Winter Newsletter 2019
- Co-author, ‘Misusing Drugs and Misapplying Paternalism; Injecting Portuguese Decriminalisation into the UK Justice System’, UK Legal Issues Journal, Volume 4, Issue 1, January 2016
- Co-author, ‘The HIV Stigma; Duty or Defence?’ UCL Journal of Law and Jurisprudence, Volume 4, Issue 1, March 2015
EDUCATION & AWARDS
- BPTC, BPP London (Very Competent)
- LLM Distinction, Teesside University
- LLB (Hons) First Class, Teesside University
- CBA Bursary for Excellence in Advocacy
- The Rachel Lawrence Prize
- Inner Temple Exhibitioner
- The Ian Pennock Award for Excellence in Law
Outside her practice, Ellen has undertaken a number of voluntary roles including teaching children of secondary school age the legislation regarding revenge porn and consent through SPITE and the Schools Consent Project and helping prisoners improve their communication skills with debating through the Vocalise programme.