- Business & Property
- Personal Injury
- Housing Law
James has a nationwide practice in both England and Scotland covering all areas of employment law, including discrimination, wrongful and unfair dismissal (including redundancy), restrictive covenants and whistleblowing. James represents both Claimants and Respondents including individuals, trade unions, local authorities, SMEs and large companies. James regularly provides advice and drafts pleadings on all aspects of employment law. Recent cases he has been involved in include:
- Successfully representing a Claimant in a 5-day automatic unfair dismissal and whistleblowing claim.
- Acting for a Respondent local authority in a 5-day disability discrimination claim. The claim was dismissed.
- Successfully representing a Claimant nurse in a two-week unfair dismissal claim against a large NHS Foundation Trust.
- Acting for a well known logistics company in an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim following an employee being sacked for unsafe working practices. The claim was dismissed.
- Successfully acting for Claimant in a claim against large manufacturing company for failure to reasonably deal with a request for flexible working.
James also has experience advising both employers and employees on Settlement Agreements following termination of employment.
Business & Property
James acts in and advises on a wide variety of commercial disputes in both litigation and ADR for clients from a wide range of industries. He covers all aspects of Business and Property work including commercial and traditional chancery, real property, professional negligence and insolvency. Recent cases he has been involved in include:
- Acting for business owner in claim for substantial loss of profit following breach of the repairing covenant in a commercial lease.
- Advising a clothing designer in a misrepresentation claim against a manufacturer.
- Representing the committee of a social club in a professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors for failing to advise of their personal liability on a mortgage taken out by the club.
Personal Injury & Costs
James is instructed by both claimants and defendants in a wide range of personal injury cases. He regularly deals with road traffic, employers and occupiers liability claims at the level of fast track and above. He has significant experience of cases involving credit hire, low velocity impact and issues arising out of portal claims. James also regularly deals with costs disputes acting on behalf of both claimants and defendants. He is instructed in costs budgeting and assessment hearings.
James’ housing practice covers a wide variety of litigation including possession proceedings, anti-social behaviour injunctions, tenancy deposits, unlawful eviction and disrepair. He has a particular interest in cases involving discrimination under the Equality Act 2010.
Prior to coming to the bar James worked for a national advice charity and has experience both advising and working with third sector housing providers. Recent cases he has been involved in include:
- Successfully acting for a tenant challenging a possession claim by a housing authority on the basis that the action was discriminatory under s.15 Equality Act 2010.
- Acting in committal proceedings for a local housing authority against a tenant in breach of an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction where the tenant had been exposing himself to other residents.
Attorney General's Regional B Panel of Counsel (2021 - 2026)
- North Eastern Circuit Commercial Bar Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
LECTURES & SEMINARS
James was recently an Associate Lecturer in Employment Law on the BPTC at Northumbria University. In addition to this James regularly provides seminars and training to solicitors and other professionals on all aspects of employment, business and property law.
LLB (Hons) Northumbria University, 2009.