Employment & Discrimination Law
Jamie is a specialist employment and discrimination law barrister with sixteen years’ experience in dealing with employment disputes of all kinds. He appears locally in Newcastle Employment Tribunal and also appears frequently in Edinburgh and Glasgow Employment Tribunals. He has a national practice and has appeared in most Tribunal locations.
Jamie has a varied client base receiving instructions from FTSE 100 companies, local authorities, NHS Trusts and small and medium enterprises.
His Claimant work varies from acting on behalf of trade union members to individuals in a wide range of circumstances. A particular recent focus has been successfully representing Claimants in claims of sexual harassment. A significant proportion of his Claimant work is based on receiving instructions directly from members of the public.
Jamie has a thriving advisory practice and because of his specialism he is often called upon to advise in relation to a tricky point of law or where there is no obvious answer.
He enjoys appellate work and particularly welcomes instructions to appear in the Employment Appeal Tribunal in both London and Edinburgh.
Examples of Jamie’s recent work includes:
- Regularly defends all types of claim in the Employment Tribunal be it discrimination, whistleblowing and unfair dismissal.
- Defending public sector employers in relation to multiple party holiday pay litigation.
- Multi party TUPE litigation, both public and private sector.
- Whistleblowing claims and successfully establishing the absence of a public interest disclosure.
- Representing public and private sector employees experiencing harassment in the workplace. Jamie has successfully acted on behalf of Claimants in sex, race and disability harassment claims.
- Frequently instructed in claims of disability discrimination on behalf of both Claimants and Respondents. Has a strong grasp of the legislation and the underlying case law.
- Advising and representing Chief Constables and Police Officers in discrimination claims before the Employment Tribunal.
- Representing employers and employees in the health and social care sector, particularly where allegations of abuse have been made.
- Drafting contractual terms, particularly where there is an issue relating to employment status or the enforceability of a restraint of trade clause.
Jamie also undertakes non contentious work, drafting employment contracts and policies. Furthermore, Jamie has a teaching qualification and is able to provide training on any aspect of employment law.
- Fee Paid Employment Judge - North Western Region
- Deputy District Judge - North Eastern Circuit
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Newcastle upon Tyne Employment Tribunal Users Group
EDUCATION & AWARDS
- LLB (Hons), LLM
- Sir Thomas More Bursary (Lincoln's Inn)
- Disability Discrimination Update for Claimants and Respondents
- Whistleblowing: Tactics for Claimants and Respondents
- An Introduction to the Equality Act 2010
- The Equality Act 2010 Made Interesting
- Technology and Social Media
- Privilege and Without Prejudice Discussions
- What You Need to Know About the New Employment Tribunal Rules and Fees Regime - Employment Lawyers Association
- Managing Social Media in the Modern Workplace
Jamie is authorised to accept instructions under the Bar Public Access scheme.
Jamie maintains an employment law updating service on his own website: www.jamieandersonbarrister.co.uk