- All areas of children law, particularly private disputes including relocation and change of school cases, all aspects of public law proceedings, adoption, special guardianship, medical treatment, and surrogacy
- Within children law, particular experience and interest in the international movement of children, allegations involving domestic or other abuse, parental alienation, capacity and Gillick competence, local authority obligations, and deprivation of liberty
- Renowned expertise in relation to the placement of children in Scotland by local authorities and the interrelationship of English and Scottish law, including publishing a number of articles on the subject, and acting as an expert witness on the topic in the Family Court
- Mental capacity, vulnerable adults, forced marriage, and other Court of Protection welfare cases
- Judicial review in children matters, particularly relating to their support and protection from local authorities.
Justin offers a first-class advisory and advocacy service, building on knowledge and experience acquired from practice across the North of England and London. He provides clear, frank and comprehensive assessments of the prospects for a case, detailed advice as to tactics and evidence, and a tenacious approach in court when called for.
Justin regularly accepts instructions on a Direct Access basis for suitable cases, particularly private law children matters. Those embarking upon or being forced into Family Court proceedings more often than not find themselves in a perilous landscape. Justin is your knowledgeable and astute guide who will help you on your journey and avoid the unforeseen cliffs and crevasses that so often bedevil these cases.
- Chairman of the North East Family Law Bar Association 2014-2022
- Bar representative on the Newcastle Courts Family Practitioner’s Forum
LECTURES & SEMINARS
A frequent contributor to Trinity's ongoing programme of family lectures and seminars, and also to local law societies. Topics have included:
- Transparency in the family courts
- Removal of children from the jurisdiction
- Interim care orders
- Media attendance in family cases
- Implications of looked after child status
- Development of the law relating to non-consensual adoption
- Witness training for social workers
- Drafting techniques in relation to the threshold criteria
- Secure accommodation of children placed in Scotland
- Scottish and English perspectives on the deprivation of liberty of children
BA (Hons) University College London 1992
Inns of Court School of Law 1993
Practised at the Chambers of Henry Setright QC and Brian Jubb in Gray’s Inn from 1994-2002.