Mairi practices in both family law and crime.
Prior to becoming a barrister, Mairi worked in child protection, private family and domestic abuse law as a paralegal for 5 years.
Mairi has broad experience in child protection cases. She regularly represents local authorities, mothers, fathers and children in public law cases involving issues of:
- Child abuse
- Vulnerable witnesses
- Special Guardianship carers
- Non-accidental injury
- Deprivation of liberty
Mairi is regularly instructed by parents in private disputes about children’s residence and contact, non-molestation orders, prohibited steps and specific issue orders.
Mairi has experience in contested fact-finding hearings and final hearings involving issues such as:
- Domestic abuse
- Parental alienation
- Change of a child’s name
Mairi has developed a particular strength in working with vulnerable clients such as domestic abuse survivors as well as those with:
- Learning difficulties
- Severe trauma
- Substance misuse issues
- Mental health issues
- An offending background
Mairi has successfully prosecuted several cases instructed by the Crown Prosecution Service including:
- R v D: secured convictions for common assault, ABH and criminal damage for a sustained and violent attack against a former female partner.
- R v L & M: conviction of two defendants for homophobically motivated harassment. A hate crime uplift was applied to the sentence.
- R v A: successful prosecution of a convicted sex offender for breaching the terms of a sexual harm prevention order.
- R v C: successful prosecution of a convicted murder for a serious assault on two prison officers.
Mairi successfully appealed a Football Banning Order imposed following an incident at the Newcastle v Chelsea match in 2022.
Mairi also has experience defending in the Crown Court and the Magistrates.
- Mairi successfully mitigated for a client who had pleaded guilty to a driving offence, persuading the court away from the guidelines to avoid a custodial sentence.
Mairi regularly represents Police forces in applications for:
- Sexual Harm Prevention Orders
- Sexual Risk Orders
- Domestic Violence Protection Orders
- Northumbria University Bar Training Course (Distinction)
- Northumbria University Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
- Newcastle University Masters in Professional Translation (Merit)
- Newcastle University Government & European Union Studies with Spanish (2:1)
- Ascentis Level 3 Certificate in Community Interpreting
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn Prince of Wales Scholarship
- The Northumbria University Bar Training Course Scholarship
- The Family Law Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
Mairi speaks Spanish fluently.
Mairi has completed 6 marathons including New York and Boston. She is an animal lover and has two cocker spaniels and a cat. Mairi is a supporter of Heart of Midlothian FC.