Nigel has been a commercial disputes lawyer for over 25 years, in the City for the first 10 years of his career, before moving to the North East in 1998. He has extensive experience of litigating in High Court Queen’s Bench, Chancery and Administrative Divisions and County Courts throughout England and Wales.
Commercial practice areas include:
- Professional negligence (surveyors, architects, engineers, solicitors, accountants, IFAs, banks, brokers)
- Contract disputes
- Sale of goods and services
- Shareholder and director disputes
- Mergers, takeovers and due diligence (private and listed companies)
- Partnerships and Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs)
- Insurance and insurance contracts
- Agriculture and farm businesses
- Commercial fraud and conversion
- Injunctions, asset-freezing, search orders, tracing in equity
- Financial Mis-selling and Consumer Credit
- Personal Injury (especially equine)
Land, Agriculture & Trusts
Chancery practice areas include:
- Agricultural Holdings
- Nuisance (flooding, landslips, crop damage, etc.)
- Landlord and Tenant
- Covenants and Easements
- HM Land Registry Adjudications
- Wills and probate disputes
Public & Administrative Law
Administrative Court work by way of bringing and defending Judicial Review applications covering:
- Public procurement
- Environmental and Environmental Health
- Agricultural land management
- Footpaths and Bridleways
Nigel advises and represents professionals including solicitors, surveyors, architects, engineers, accountants and others over matters of regulatory compliance, discipline, sanction and professional indemnity.
Nigel is a trained mediator available to conduct mediations throughout the UK. He has extensive experience of mediation (as mediator and representing a party) built up over 20 years.
LECTURES & SEMINARS
Nigel regularly gives seminars principally upon matters of professional regulation, especially solicitors and insurers, and professional indemnity. He has also lectured when required to National Farmers Union (NFU) members when issues have widespread concern have arisen (e.g. foot-and-mouth, Vale of York flooding, anti-competitive practices within the food industry).
- LL.B Law (Hons.) Nottingham University (1986)
- Solicitors Law Finals (1988)
- Bar Transfer Test (2015)
Nigel ran a substantial business with 75+ staff for over 10 years which, he hopes, gives him lifelong immunity from ivory towers.