Sarah has a nationwide practice in England and Scotland covering all areas of employment law. Sarah represents both Claimants and Respondents. Recent cases include:
- Defending a Respondent in a 5-day hearing against allegations of unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, holiday pay, unauthorised deduction of wages and breach of contract. A finding of unfair dismissal was made however the Judge made a 100% deduction to compensation due to the Claimant’s misconduct. The remaining claims were dismissed.
- Successfully representing a Claimant in a 3-day unfair dismissal and wrongful dismissal in Glasgow against a local authority.
Sarah has a developing professional regulatory practice and represents professionals at fitness to practise hearings in England and Scotland. Recent cases include:
- Successfully representing a care worker in a 5-day fitness to practise hearing before the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). Charges were proven against the worker, including a charge of dishonesty, however the Panel were persuaded that a finding of impairment does not automatically fall from a finding of dishonesty and the case against the worker was dismissed.
- Successfully representing a nurse in a 14-day hearing at the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). The nurse faced charges of verbal and physical abuse against a schizophrenic patient dating back to 2013. Sarah made a successful submission of no case to answer in respect of one charge and the Panel found the remaining charges unproven in their entirety.
Sarah accepts instructions in all housing matters. Sarah is regularly instructed to draft pleadings and has experience bringing and resisting Equality Act 2010 and Human Rights Act 1998 claims. She has particular experience in:
- Housing disrepair
- Allocation hearings
- Anti-Social Behaviour
Business & Property
Sarah has a developing business & property practice. She has successfully represented a number of Claimants in claims arising from the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
Sarah accepts instructions representing Claimants and Defendants at Small Claim and Fast Track hearings, in addition to drafting pleadings and advices. Prior to joining Trinity Chambers, Sarah worked as a Senior Paralegal in the Personal Injury department of a law firm ranked No 1 in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners.
- BPP University, LLM Legal Practice Course (Barristers) (Distinction)
- BPP University, Graduate Diploma in Law (Commendation)
- University of Huddersfield, English Literature with Creative Writing BA (First Class)
- Dere Street Barristers Employment Law Prize (for achieving the highest Employment Law grade on the BPTC) (2018)
- Leeds Medico-Legal Society Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence Prize (for achieving the highest PICN grade on the BPTC) (2018)
- Internship Award, Inner Temple (2018)
- Sir Joseph Priestley Award, Inner Temple (2018)
- BPP Award for Outstanding Contribution to Pro Bono (2018)
- BPP Advocacy Award (2017)
- BPP Excellence Award (2017)
- The Spirit of the Humanities Award, University of Huddersfield (2016)
- Exhibition Award, Inner Temple (2016)
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple