Tom’s well established practice covers all areas of social housing litigation and landlord and tenant disputes. He regularly writes articles and gives seminars and lectures on all aspects of housing law and is called upon to advise social landlords including local authorities, on matters of policy including homelessness, allocation and registration of social housing providers. His many years’ experience, clarity of advice and pragmatic approach is brought to bear in his particular areas of expertise.
Areas of expertise:
- Anti-social behaviour possession cases and injunctions
- Bringing and defending claims in housing cases where the tenant lacks capacity, including community care assessment and provision
- Claims arising out of the Human Rights Act and Equality Act
- Claims concerning unlawful eviction
- Claims for possession and demotion
- Commercial landlord and tenant disputes
- Disputes over the right to buy and succession claims
- Disrepair claims relating to residential premises
- Public law challenges concerning homelessness and allocation of housing, public law defences to possession claims, s. 204 appeals to the county court and applications for judicial review
- Service charge disputes and housing regulation maters before the Property Chamber of the First Tier Tribunal
- All proportionality defences are equal, but some are more equal than others - Ackerman-Livingstone v Aster Communities Ltd  UKSC 15
- Magic beans for that cow? - Scott v Southern Pacific Mortgages  UKSC 52
- Teather’s Tether - Will the Tenancies (Reform) Bill be a sticker?
- Assistant Editor: "Tolley’s claims to the Possession of Land" (5th Edn 2000-2003)
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Yorkshire Housing law Practitioners’Association
LECTURES & SEMINARS
Tom regularly lectures on housing law subjects and is known for his relaxed and amusing style of presentation. Tom is also happy to provide bespoke training to housing providers on areas of particular concern, recently including defending claims for disrepair. Please contact the clerks for further details.
- Inns of Court School of Law
- LLB (Hons) Bristol University
Tom is a liveryman of the Salters’ Company, ECB level 2 cricket coach and an active writer, director and actor.