Barristers Deliver All Day Trading Standards Conference
Trinity Barristers Chambers in conjunction with the North East Trading Standards Association (NETSA) delivered an all day Trading Standards conference at Bede’s World, Jarrow on Wednesday 1st October 2014.
The highly practical event included several guest speakers and specialist Regulatory Trading Standards barristers from Trinity Chambers:- Ros Scott Bell,Tony Cornberg, William Byrne and James Kemp. The session was aimed at a wide range of delegates, including Trading Standards Officers and other regulatory enforcement officers, solicitors and Police.
The Trinity barristers covered the following topics:
- Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act and Unfair Trading Regulations update
- Practical implications of Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) in Trading Standards investigations
- Swearing out of Warrants by the Police & Local Authorities
- Practical tips and guidance on Disclosure
- Covert Human Intelligent Sources (CHIS), Test Purchasing and Surveillance Commissioners
Guest speakers included experienced Intellectual Property solicitor, Niall Head Rapson of McDaniel & Co. who explored civil law remedies and Trade Marks and Copyright. In addition, Dorothy Allan, expert from Keith Borer Consultants examined the evidential issues in relation to handwriting and signatures.
Nearly 80 delegates from across the region attended the session. The Trinity barristers are members of Chambers' Regulatory practice group.