Social Housing Law Association Conference 2019
SHLA is an organisation of and for social housing professionals and their lawyers. Its members are made up of local authorities, housing associations, housing and policy professionals and solicitors and barristers who regularly represent social landlords.
Alice is a member of the recently formed SHLA North Committee and is aiming to raise the profile of the Association in the region.
The SHLA Conference takes place on Friday 22nd November 2019 at the Crowne Plaza, Kings Cross Road, London. The all day conference will be chaired by Field Court's Sarah Salmon with a wide range of speakers and topics from across the housing industry including:
- Christina Blacklaws, Past president of the Law Society - “Women in leadership in the law and wider issues of diversity and inclusion”
- Emma Godfrey, Field Court Chambers, Helen Tucker, Anthony Collins Solicitors - “Housing law in the appeal courts and Parliament, 2018-2019”
- Matt Hutchings QC, Cornerstone, Arthur Tsang, Bournville Village Trust - “Working together on homelessness and allocations: local authorities and their housing partners”
- Annette Cafferkey, 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square, Iris Ferber, 42 Bedford Row - “Managing tenants with a disability: Equality Act defences and dealing with mental health issues”
- Justin Bates, Landmark Chambers, Donna McCarthy, Devonshires - “Fitness for Human Habitation, EPA and disrepair”
- Nicholas Grundy and Tristan Salter, 5 Paper, Katerina Birkeland, The Hyde Group - “Leasehold issues for the housing provider”
- Val Theadom, Housing Ombudsman, Bethan Gladwyn, Hugh James - “Good complaints handling and dealing with vexatious complainants”
- Imran Mustak, L & Q, Alex Bagnall, Total Legal Solutions - “Claim farmers: How to tackle the tsunami of disrepair claims currently faced by local authorities and private registered providers and where are we with fixed costs”
- Andrew Arden QC, Nexus Chambers - “Housing Disputes Resolution”
Alice deals with a wide range of housing law issues, including cases involving discrimination, human rights and public law/judicial review. Alice also undertakes regulatory work in the housing, property and local government sectors. She has particular experience advising on licensing schemes under the Housing Act 2004.
Alice is a member of the Attorney General’s Regional Panel of Counsel and is regularly instructed by the Government Legal Department. She has also been appointed to the Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Counsel.
As well as Chairing one of the breakout sessions, Alice will be a member of the "Question Time" Panel concluding the day. The conference attracts 5.5 hours CPD. For the SHLA Annual Conference booking form please click here. For those unable to attend the Conference, there is an option to purchase the notes through SHLA.