Trinity Barrister Delivers Taxi Licensing Update
Specialist Licensing barrister, Joan Smith will be delivering an update on taxi licensing on behalf of MBL training providers.
The event, taking place in London on 24th July, will provide practical guidance applicable to all aspects of taxi licensing. The session will explore on-going challenges as well as examining developments in the law and debate the application of local byelaws. The aim of the course is to provide taxi licensing solicitors with an opportunity to refresh and update their knowledge in relation to revocations, refusal, appeals and legal challenges to decisions along with discussion on recent taxi licensing judgments.
Delegates will be provided with the opportunity to discuss the implications for their work in respect of recent legal decisions and the anticipated reforms and likely effect on the taxi licensing system, including the latest impacts from technological advances, where next for the Uber App?
The Taxi Licensing course will cover:
- The avenues of Appeal and potential challenges to decisions
- Understanding the issues relating to evidence and disclosure
- The application of Local Byelaws - an interactive discussion
- Pragmatic guidance about the application of the fit and proper test
- How to present and challenge evidence during hearings as well as addressing avenues of appeal
- The application of the Human Rights Act
- Recent case law update
- Summary of the potential reforms to taxi licensing and the road ahead including a recent case law update and other cases that are currently being litigated
Joan is recognised for her licensing work in Chambers UK 2014 "Handles alcohol, gambling, firearms and taxi licensing matters at regulatory hearings, and to Crown and Administrative Court level. Smith is especially noted for her taxi licensing expertise, which she has applied in providing advice to statutory bodies on matters of policy. "She is extremely practical and diligent, and quickly focuses on key issues in complex cases."" Chambers UK 2014.
Please follow link for MBL Taxi Licensing Update for further details.