Andrew is an employment and business, property and commercial law practitioner.
Andrew has been at Trinity Chambers since 2008 and has vast experience in Employment Tribunals, Courts and Regulatory Hearings nationwide across England and Scotland.
Andrew currently acts as a junior being led by Mr Simon Goldberg in an ongoing, complex commercial dispute.
Andrew is a member of the Regional Panel of Counsel for the Government Legal Department having been appointed since 2015.
Employment & Regulatory
Andrew regularly represents both claimants and respondents (of all sizes from small businesses to FTSE 100 organisations, as well as local authorities and government bodies), including against Queen's Counsel, in complicated employment law matters.
Andrew is well placed to deal with employment law matters and commercial and business matters relating to employees and business (such as restrictive covenants, confidentiality clauses and injunction applications).
Andrew has appeared at the EAT (in both London and Edinburgh) and regularly provides advice and drafting in relation to Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal matters.
Andrew routinely represents clients in all matters of employment law and has acted in numerous complex Employment Tribunal cases, including:
- Mr N v S Plc - hearing lasting over 30 days for whistleblowing (detriments and automatically unfair dismissal) claim for a Respondent, successfully defending such claims
- Ms C v DC - hearing lasting 3 days, successfully representing a Claimant in a claim for numerous acts of disability discrimination arising in consequence of disability, harassment and victimisation
- Mr D v N Council - 13 days hearing representing a claimant against a local authority in a whistleblowing detriments claim
- Ms G v Council - successfully advising and representing a local authority in a disability discrimination claim made by an employee on long term sickness absence, which included various allegations of disability discrimination (including victimisation)
- Mr A v CE Ltd - successfully representing a respondent in a claim for sex discrimination, failure to deal appropriately with a flexible working request and constructive (unfair) dismissal
- Mr T v NPS Ltd - successfully representing a respondent in defending a constructive unfair dismissal claim and successfully bringing a counterclaim against the claimant
- Mrs H and W v Trust - representing and advising individual claimants in complex equal pay claims
- Mr B v ASW - 10 days hearing successfully representing a claimant in a victimisation (race) claim
- Mr F and Another v G Ltd - 8 days hearing successfully representing two claimants in an unfair dismissal claim involving complicated issues as to anonymous witnesses
- representing, advising and drafting pleadings in relation to historic and complex claims of disability, sex and other discrimination, whistleblowing and multi-handed (including against five respondents) TUPE transfer and unlawful deduction of wages claims
Andrew also has particular experience in cases involving the medical, health care and social work professions – including doctors, nurses, social workers and veterinarians, as well as a range of other health care and professional practitioners. Andrew has successfully represented clients in numerous difficult and complex regulatory hearings, including in cases lasting over 10 days.
Andrew regularly delivers seminars and training in relation to regulation in the health care and social professions, in relation to which Andrew has been described as an: “Excellent presenter who brought the subject to life. Great insight on a challenging but interesting area of law”
Business, Property & Commercial
Andrew has substantial experience in numerous areas of business, property and commercial matters. This includes in relation to high value disputes and claims or applications for injunctions (interim and permanent).Andrew represents claimants and defendants in claims relating to:
- Restrictive covenants, restraint of trade and injunctions
- Breach of confidence, misuse of confidential information, breach of legal privilege and breach of fiduciary duties
- Unlawful means conspiracy, procuring a breach of contract and knowing assistance
- Insolvency matters (including directors duties, statutory demands and petitions for winding up and bankruptcy, abuse of process arguments and appeals)
- Professional negligence
- Partnership disputes
- Landlord and Tenant disputes (commercial and residential)
- Contractual disputes and sale of goods
- Possession proceedings
Andrew has also gained invaluable experience working offshore (Guernsey) in a well known, reputable firm of Advocates for an extended period of time, working on large, complex business, commercial and chancery/insolvency cases.
Personal Injury & Costs
Andrew undertakes both claimant and defendant work in a range of personal injury matters, from road traffic to industrial injury/disease claims (including complex mesothelioma claims). He represents clients at CCMCs, applications, final hearings (including multi-track hearings) and on all matters relating to costs and assessment of the same. He also has experience in holiday related claims, employer’s liability and occupiers’ liability cases.
LECTURES & SEMINARS
Andrew is happy to deliver lectures and seminars in any of his specialist areas. Seminars provided by him include:
- Regulatory Law in the Healthcare Professions – since 2015 and ongoing
- Tees Valley Law Society - November 2014 - Costs update- Relief from Sanctions, Costs and Case Management Conferences and Costs Budgeting
- May 2012 - Mock Professional Disciplinary hearing
- March 2012 - Personal Injury Update
- November 2011 - The Personal Injury Protocol, Part 36 and update
- Regional Panel of Counsel for Government Legal Department (formerly Treasury Solicitor)
- Lincoln's Inn (since 2006)
EDUCATION & AWARDS
- Law LLB, Durham University (2004 – 2007) – First Class (Honours)
- BVC, Nottingham Law School (2007 – 2008)
- Ward Hadaway Bursary winner – 2004 (financial award and two summers of work experience)
- Lincoln’s Inn Hardwicke Entrance Scholar
Andrew is authorised to accept instructions under the Bar Public Access scheme.