- Family Law
- Public & Private Law
- Forced Marriage & Honour Violence
- Court of Protection
- Vulnerable Adults
- Civil Costs
- Ancillary Relief
- Family Law Arbitration
Brian is a member of the Institute of Family Law Arbitrators (IFLA) and as a Family Dispute Resolution Facilitator and Arbitrator is qualified to conduct family law arbitrations and make orders under the IFLA rules, including in matrimonial finance and Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 proceedings. For further details visit Family & Children Arbitration.
- Instructed by City firm of solicitors on behalf of a French client in relation to complex European Union jurisdiction issues. Successfully argued that jurisdiction rested with the French and not English courts.
- Acting for a grandmother in a three week High Court fact finding hearing regarding mother and children.
- Acting on behalf of a Local Authority in an eight day High Court case regarding issues of neglect involving a mother with learning difficulties.
- Dealing with fact finding hearings regarding Iraqi Kurds and Iraqi father covering aspects of immigration, language difficulties etc.
- Three week fact finding hearing for Guardian in High Court in a case involving a death due to severe injury to the children.
- Acting on behalf of Local Authority proceedings regarding horrendous background of sexual abuse perpetrated by father until the child’s mid 20’s.
- High Court proceedings involving a 15 year old child and serious allegations of physical and sexual violence against a background of his own father having previous convictions for such offences leading to severe behavioural difficulties.
- Ancillary Relief proceedings in complex farming case involving companies BARDER events etc.
- Dealing with points of dispute in costs, challenging schedules, after the event insurance premiums and extent of success fees. All aspects of costs litigation.
WHAT OTHERS SAY
"extremely thorough" Legal 500 2011
“Deals with instructions very well indeed” Legal 500 2007
Deputy District Judge 1993 – North Eastern Circuit.
Member of the Family Law Bar Association.
Institute of Family Law Arbitrators (IFLA) - Family Dispute Resolution Facilitator and Arbitrator 2015
Brian Mather worked for ten years in Local Government. He then became a solicitor and practised for 23 years in Newcastle before transferring to the Bar. Brian is a former member of the Law Society Children’s Panel. He was also an interviewer for Panel Applicants and Adjudicator on appeals for Panel Membership.